Today is “Global handwashing day “. Let’s take a moment to discuss and spread importance of handwashing . Handwashing is like a “do-it-yourself” vaccine—it involves five simple and effective steps (Wet, Lather, Scrub, Rinse, Dry) you can take to reduce the spread of diarrheal and respiratory illness so you can stay healthy. Regular handwashing, particularly before and after certain activities, is one of the best ways to remove germs, avoid getting sick, and prevent the spread of germs to others. It’s quick, it’s simple, and it can keep us all from getting sick. Handwashing is a win for everyone, except the germs.
A study conducted by SCA a global hygiene company ( 2012), uncovered interesting fact. Let us have closer look on those finding:
When to wash hands :
- Wet your hands with clean running water ( Warm or cold )turn off the tap, and apply soap
- Lather your hands by rubbing them together with the soap. Be sure lather the back of your hands between your fingers, and under nails
- Scrub your hands for at least 20 seconds. Need a timer ? Hum ” Happy birthday” Song from the beginning to end twice
- Rinse hands well under clean, running water
- Dry hands using clean towel or air dry them
When to wash hands
Remember 80% of all infections disease transmitted by touch.
Source: CDC, US FDA,